A community of technology community managers, leaders, and builders.

Forum/social media site

creating a forum site that has photo upload and video streaming, do those attributes still make that a forum site? also i still can’t get the difference between a forum site and social media site. I know this topic has been discussed right here but still don’t understand…

A forum has specific guidelines (or restrictions in some cases) on subject matter. For example, on this forum we discuss community management, and we wouldn’t talk about celebrities or model trains here. Generally people ask questions and other people answer, and the primary goal is the exchange of information. With social media, the primary goal is to be social with other people, so even though the mechanism is very similar, the discussions can and often do vary widely. However, that is an arbitrary and very general guideline.

I would advise that it is much less important to define what your forum is or isn’t, and more important to just make sure it fulfills the needs of the community. If it helps people to be able to upload photos, then enabling it is a good thing.

hope that helps!

Forum sites is basically categorized by topics, people follow the topics that they are interested in and create thread of discussions. Here people create a message board where people can hold conversations in the form of posted messages.

Social media sites allow members to organize around a person’s relationships or interests, rather that just focused on topic. People that know each other (or want to meet each other) will connect by a variety of common interests. These are great tools to get people of like interest to connect to each other and share information.

social media site is social network site where we can post anything, like share information, audio, videos, comment and do like dislike anything. while forum posting is discussion site where discuss something about a any topics. It is only for for discussion on any particular topic.

Thanks to for being the kind sponsor for this forum!