A community of technology community managers, leaders, and builders.

Have you gamified your community?

I would agree, but I think relatively few people start out with this. For some people, they hear about a community and something connects with them that in turn drives motivation. May of those people end up being long-standing community members who deliver significant and sustained contributions.

For many people though, they don’t have that internal drive, and therefore they need encouragement, support, and rewards, which is where I think gamification helps.

Unless I am missing something, I don’t think there is a lot of research to back this up, but instead a lot of opinion. :wink:

There is little doubt that some people see other people gaining badges as a means to feel disheartened and disenfranchised. To be honest though, and this is a controversial point, I think you are better off without those people.

Those people are too influenced by social pressure and their own sense of ego that at some point they will likely become a problem in terms of entitlement. You don’t want to be babysitting your community members.

Hi, I am a woman and a non-gamer who is interested in this subject as an addition to a project I am developing geared toward promoting neighborhood communities.

Just to be clear I have nothing against games or the people who play them. I do not play games on my computer. Personally I find them boring and a waste of my time. I am not motivated by fake rewards and I do not want to spend time building a virtual world which could be used to improve the real world around me.

And there’s always an exception. During collage after closing the pizza parlor, I loved to hang out with the other employees and play the Star Wars game where one tried to drop the bomb down the hole to blow up the Death Star. Is that game still out there ?

Many of my friends, both male and female, play on line games and invite me to join them. My biggest on line time waster is the game of Facebook.

Given my limited game history and after reading all the comments I believe @henne hits it on the head. It is not possible to transfer intrinsic values to a virtual reward system.

As I have been envisioning the community game I would like to see developed , I was thinking of ways individual gamers may receive a reward in the real world.

Your comments furthered my thinking along in two ways. One, to have a real person or community of persons on the ground whose behavior the gamers rewards are tied to but which they have no direct control over. Second, for gamers to redeem their on line rewards toward a real world benefit/ reward for an individual or non profit within the community the game is about.

Now back to the teckies do you think it is possible to create a game like this assuming the community is supportive ?

Thanks to for being the kind sponsor for this forum!