A community of technology community managers, leaders, and builders.

Individual and team management software?

I am looking for recommendations for software for the following two use cases. This be two recommendations or one that does both.

Contributor Registration

I am looking for a system that can do the following:

• Provide a place for a user to register an account.
  • Add an avatar, bio, and other details.
  • Provide a place where they can add content (e.g. a wiki) such as things they have achieved and projects they have been working on.

Team Registration

A system for managing teams. I would like it to do the following:

• Create teams.
  • Set team information such as logos, description, etc.
  • Be able to add individuals to teams.
  • Associate team events and other activities as part of those teams.

Suggestions?

It’s not a turn-key solution, but the Ubuntu loco-team-portal does a lot of this, it would have the be dis-associated with Ubuntu SSO/Launchpad though.

Good Morning Jono,
I would honestly look into SugarCRM. It should support everything you are asking for with little modification. You may need to write a bit of code for the Wiki features or latch into the API

Yeah, I thought about this. I am preferably looking for turn-key though. There is not much Python institutional knowledge here at XPRIZE.

I always thought of SugarCRM as more of a general CRM system as opposed to contributor management. Hmmm, I will take a look. Thanks for the suggestion!

Your technically right about Sugar’s intended purpose however it is actually a very flexible package that can be extended to do almost anything.

Another option that just hit me would be Elgg but I have not played around with that in years. It would also require modifications

Most of this functionality is available in Pinax (as used in the Symposion conference software and many other places). I’ll see what I can put together as a turn-key solution in the next few days.

If you don’t mind going over to the “dark side” of proprietary software, check out Atlassian Confluence which can do all the things you mentioned fairly easily. It’s free (as in beer) for non-profits.

While I can’t say I’m a huge fan, I’d have to agree that Atlassian Confluence pretty much does do what you need (and also includes ways to hook into an auth system such as AD, etc if at some point you need it to.) Also, its Jira and Hipchat may also be handy tools for your toolbelt.

Just remember that someday you’ll want it to do something different, and you won’t have that option

We’ve managed to put together accounts, profiles, teams and a per-user and per-team wiki to cover both lists of requirements. I’ll try to get a demo deployed tomorrow for feedback.

Check out basecamp: https://basecamp.com/

Based on the pricing model, it looks like Atlassian is primarily intended for small groups (<1000) as opposed to potentially hundreds of thousands of participants. Is that the case?

Seems to be more of a project management tool, though?

Agreed, but at XPRIZE it is a bit different to Canonical - there isn’t the same level of in-house engineering, so a bunch of engineering work will probably need to be outsourced anyway.

Elgg has much of what you need (although it says “groups” instead of “team”, “pages” instead of “wiki”…) but also stuff you might not need (like friend requests and other social networking stuff…)
But it is open-source, turn key and there is some commercial backing if I remember correctly.

I wonder of any of Mozilla’s web projects might suit your needs here

We use a lot of tools Basecamp (We use this more for project management) is one we use but also we have our own in-house tools like Mozillians https://github.com/mozilla/mozillians

It was designed as an enterprise-type system and most of their installations are probably in the hundreds to tens of thousands as a result, I’d imagine. However they do have a lot of documentation in their product wiki about large scale installations and it looks like they’re working a clustered/HA edition in the next release. More at https://confluence.atlassian.com/x/qAMQCQ and other similar pages on the same site.

There are also some mature plugins in their ecosystem that support the kind of work you might have in mind (e.g. lets people self opt-in to groups or communities of practice) https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.adaptavist.confluence.bubbles is one. If you are able to get by with the nonprofit free pricing, most plugins will also be free from my experience as they’re licensed through Atlassian’s marketplace platform and honor the same agreement. You might look more at that marketplace to see what other plugins would be useful.

They have a hosted version that you could play with as a trial if you want to get the feel for it before moving forward with a server install.

I like the look of the Mozillians site. It seems that most of Mozilla’s other useful tools (Kuma for MDN, Zamboni for AMO, et al.) are sadly too customized for Mozilla’s needs & infrastructure for other projects to use without major refactoring. @bkerensa do you have any idea if that’s the case for the Mozillians platform too?

Thanks to for being the kind sponsor for this forum!