Hosted by Megan O’Leary & Monique Dupre of Idealist.org
Version of a 3Q exercise, see more about this model of conversation here
Personal - when you have an intention and have stumbling block.
Will facilitate a conversation.
1) What you care about - what do you want to do for the common good?
2) What is stopping you or getting in your way?
3) What would help you take the first/next step – others will listen to help others
- Results around education. Getting 50K volunteers. Barrier is not knowing if this is the right number.
- Great at planning but action doesn’t happen. What is stopping us is not knowing what is stopping us – is it the tool set? Are we overcommiting? Cultural approach of tribal leadership…
- A lot about individuals. Group is correcting factor. Contributor that is working with others creates accountability.
- Managing against capacity - being direct about expected time commitment
- Skills based project assignement
- Overrecruit and have scoping session. What is the accountability agreement?
- Balance of having enough people to recruit from vs bar that is too high for recruitment.
- Need more people to help with administration of program
- Volunteers with named function is very helpful with putting agreements into place
- Giving ownership to activity
- Need for purpose and specific
- Allow people to step out from positions before it is too late
*Ask people to call you out on whether you can actually do that
If you are the lead for the project you should not be assigned to tasks - learn to delegate
Don’t overcommit unless you have supporting team
Pause - wait to reply to someone about whether you want to commit to a project
Get people to record actual time
How do you manage your time - manage against overcommiting
People leave the room with a good sense of first/next step