A community of technology community managers, leaders, and builders.

User Groups & Local Meetups

CLS Session Idea: User Groups & Local Meetups

As a Community manager or leader, how do you encourage and enable your community to meet in person world-wide?

This topic can be as granular as how to run a single, positive user group meeting – to how you can enable a worldwide network of user groups.

I look forward to discussing this at the CLS this year!

• Kara

This is a great idea for a session.

What I would love to see out of this session is a set of crisp guidelines for how people organize effective local meetups.

Things such as:

• How to pick a venue, date, and time.
  • What equipment you need.
  • What you can do at your events.
  • How to promote your event and get people to join.
  • How to spread the load and encourage other people to help with organization.
  • Managing sponsorship (mainly relevant for conferences/summits).

Would be great to get a simple set of bullet points that provide guidance for these areas (and others!). :slight_smile:

I can share some of the things we do at the Boston Python user group; different event formats, ways to spread out the work (documentation helps!) and how to set the tone for a friendly and diverse group.

Always interested in user groups.

Some of the people in OpenStack in the bay area wrote up this: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/OpenStackUserGroups/HowTo , in case anyone finds it useful. It’s not crisp, or very readable though :slight_smile:

Very cool. Agreed that it is a bit information-dense. Some good tips there though!

I created a video for the Ubuntu community that explains how to organize an Ubuntu Global Jam event…the same guidance can be applied to general meetings:

+1. Would love to be part of this discussion. There’s a pretty wide range in how we do Meteor meetups around the world, which range from Meteor 101 type course material to demos/lightning talks to watching a livestream of Devshop (our monthly miniconference), and the format largely depends on the expertise level and size of the local group.

Thanks to for being the kind sponsor for this forum!